Fort Morgan, located on Mobile Point, at the end of Fort Morgan Peninsula
Built of brick and mortar between 1819 and 1833, Fort Morgan stands guard where the bay meets the Gulf of Mexico. This site originally was home to Fort Bower during the War of 1812. Seized by Alabama Troops and turned over to the Confederacy in 1861, Fort Morgan played a significant role in the Battle of Mobile Bay in 1864. Union Naval forces fought their way past Fort Morgan and defeated the Confederate Naval Squadron which included the Ironclad C.S.S. Tennessee. In 1895, The Army Corps of Engineers began construction of new fortification systems. It was used intermittently through the Spanish American War, WWI, and WWII.